Monday, August 8, 2011

National Campaign

WHY WE WROTE THE BOOK

How does one make sense of losing a child? A child with a deep and abiding love of our Lord.

For us, there really was only one answer. We turned to God. Then many months later, as part of that process, we turned to others, hoping to help those who had also lost a child. Hoping to spread God's loving balm on their pain. So our initial focus was on helping other parents who had also lost a child. This is why we started writing the book.

However, our time, we realized that there were other kinds of tragedies that caused one to doubt God. So our focus expanded to include those people.

Then finally, I realized that our story might help others who are searching for God. In chapter three, I described how I spent decades in doubt. I did not become a Christian until 2006, two years before Kelsey was killed. I was 52. I hope that my story of searching can help others who are doing the same.

So, I guess, you could say that our book is an attempt to help make sense out of some thing that makes no sense at all. Kelsey's favorite verse was proverbs 3:5, which ends with "do not lean on your own understanding." We turned to the love of the Lord, and leaned on Him.


2 comments:

Mary Ann said...

Thank you!!Every now and then I feel the need to pick up the book and reread it.

Thom Vines said...

I am gratified it helps. God is good and we serve him.